Wednesday 13 September 2017

Turkeve to Mezotur on E4: Day 40

Today's walk was entirely along the river embankment, large fields to my right, many newly ploughed, the slow moving river to my left, usually hidden by trees. White kilometre markers every 200 metres on the embankment meant my progress was easy to monitor.
As it was a shorter walk today I began with a leisurely walk around Turkeve, attractive in the morning sunshine, with collections of bikes parked outside key venues complete with a shopping basket at the front and often a child's seat at the back. To begin I had coffee in a bar, then a "langos" with cheese at a hole in the wall place. There were a variety of shops to peer at including a fishing equipment shop. Fishing is a popular hobby, today beside the river I spotted several fishermen, equipped with chairs and a couple of rods. Having exhausted the shop fronts it was time for a coffee and cake in a Hollywood themed "cukraszda". Signs in the village offered bird tours, canoe trips etc. so I was a little sad to be heading off, but I had already booked tonight's stop at Mezotur.
Tonight is the first time I have used Airbnb to book a room. Fanni, who looks after it, spotted me walking through the centre of Mezotur and gave me a lift to their house, saving me the last two kilometres. I asked how she knew I was her guest, and she pointed out (in excellent English) that there were not many people walking around Mezotur with a big rucksack and a broad rimmed sun hat among the shoppers and students leaving school. That evening she also lent me her bike so I could go to a restaurant. After walking for the last week, even my modest pace on the bike seemed exhilarating, especially returning in the dusk after a pizza (and beer) the wind in my hair.....

Milestone (OK kilometre stone) on the embankment

Fluffy clouds above river embankment

No comments:

Post a Comment