Wednesday 5 July 2017

Day 28 Halap to some woods

Yesterday, getting into Debrecen from Halap Csarda (a very minor bus stop where the Kektura crosses a main road in the countryside) was relatively easy as all the buses seemed to go to Debrecen. The converse was not true. I was relying on Google Maps to tell me which bus to catch from which bus stop. The App gave the time and number of the bus, but two buses arrived at the same time and neither had visible numbers. Fortunately I had interrogated Google to find the bus's final destination and so got on the right bus. I had written down "Halap, Csarda" and showed the piece of paper to the driver, as people do not seem to understand most of the words I try to say in Hungarian. This seemed effective and it helped that I knew the fare to give him from yesterday. Tracking the bus on my GPS I was able to press the request stop button at the correct place and so by 9:30 a.m. I safely returned to where I left off yesterday complete with food supplies purchased earlier.
Today the route, which had been fairly direct since Satoraljaujhely starts a series of large "Z's" adding on many kilometres, so I was hoping the extra distance meant some attractive sights. The top bar of the "Z" was pretty good. After the usual mosquito attack on sandy tracks through locust trees,  I followed a series of embankments, passed what looked like a wetter area with long grasses on one side and stands of poplars on the other. The white poplars looked particularly beautiful, the wind fluttering their leaves, showing of their white undersides like crowds of flirtatious maidens. A stork caught the thermals overhead looking remarkably graceful for such a big bird. Later there was a lake, although mostly hidden by reeds. An abundance of picnic tables were being overgrown by wild flowers. While admiring the lake I missed a turn and retraced my steps. The correct route took me beside a drainage channel, full of bulrushes and ducks which few off on my approach. Willows and flowers lined my path, everything you could want for a beautiful country scene that took me to the point of the "Z".
For the crossbar of the "Z" it was back to sandy tracks through black locust trees with occasional stands of pine. On the lower bar of my first "Z" I camped in a plantation of young oaks, wondering what tomorrow will bring. Despite carefully examining my camping spot before pitching my tent, as soon as I sat down for tea, I discovered an infestation of ants beside me. An insect of another kind appeared to be attacking me but I found that whatever pressure I applied I was unable to squash it, and it continued it's attack. Eventually I flicked it far away. As is common as soon as I had made camp, the sounds of activities reached my ears, a tractor starting, pigeons cooing, dogs barking. Yet it was not only dogs barking. On looking for the source of barks at the end of the row of oak saplings I saw a deer. After a few minutes it saw me too and wandered off, still barking.
My Nordisk Telemark tent has gained some holes. These seems to be where the poles rub the canvas while it is packed away, as I walk along. Initially the poles wore out the end of the bag they came in and now despite attempted repairs and plastic bags, the ends of the poles appear to be making holes in the tent. I calculated that I had carried the tent for 4000 miles, so I suppose in that time the slight movement of the rucksack as I walk creates quite a bit of rubbing. Holes have also appeared through the leather uppers of my boots where they bend above my toes....
Still I am shortly due to return home.

Mezes-Hegyi-To lake, its mainly covered in reeds

Daisies beside the path

No comments:

Post a Comment