Wednesday 5 July 2017

Day 29 The woods before Letavertes to some woods after Letavertes

This morning I found a pool of water at the bottom of my tent. It had not been raining so maybe a heavy dew.
Today I was hoping that the next interlocking "Z" in the trail was worth the extra 12 kilometres or so. It was different in that for much of the walk there were extensive meadows of grass among the trees and only occasional cultivated patches. More conifers as well among the oaks and ubiquitous locust and poplar trees. I saw a number (a phalanx?) of storks feeding off something in the grass, maybe grasshoppers as I periodically sent large numbers jumping as I walked along. There was also a fine pair of some bird of prey. On the final leg of the "Z" approaching Letavertes there were small, one or two room houses lining the road, each with a vineyard or small holding, and most with an outdoor toilet in the garden. I guess they were once farm worker cottages and are now owned by people who manage them as a hobby. A few were sadly being left to collapse.
At Letavertes I bought a welcome Coke, chocolate bar and ice cream, and stocked up on water. Then it was a straight road with occasional fast cars for several kilometres. The landscape changed dramatically after Letavertes.  Instead of the forest I had walked through for the last week, there were huge fields of sunflowers and maize stretching away to each horizon. Eventually the route turned off onto a single track road, becoming a farm track after a few houses. There appeared to be on old kilato (look out tower) in the middle distance, but the path did not take me there and it was not sign posted.
I had walked further than expected and feeling tired, camped in a rare piece of woodland in a steep sided valley. Lots of tractors noises in some nearby field, another barking deer, buzzing bees and cooing doves kept me awake until darkness fell.

Large meadows on the section before Letavertes

Storks

Sunflowers extending to the horizon

No comments:

Post a Comment