Wednesday 28 June 2017

Day 22 Satoraljaujhely to between Pacin and Cigand

Not such a great night as people were talking in loud voices in a room nearby until after midnight. Today however was my first day on the Alfoldi Kektura or Great Plains Blue route. As expected there were not any hills to climb for a change.
After breakfast it was into town to stock up at the Coop, then out of town following the familiar blue and white waymarks. Sadly the first half of the day was walking beside a busy road with heavy lorries passing. I do not remember such a long stretch of busy road on the E4 since southern Spain. There were two distractions on this lengthy section, firstly police, their car hidden among trees, pulling cars over, secondly, some kind of archaeological park with lots of carved posts and other markers. There were a few signs which appeared to describe what was found at this site, it appeared to date from Arpad times when the Hungarians first invaded the area. It was hot with limited shade so I stopped at the first "bufe" I saw and had a sort of non-alcoholic lemon shandy - very refreshing as it was not too sweet. I tried the same at the next Bufe I saw but accidentally got the alcoholic version, but only 1.5%.
After the long road section there was a welcome detour on farm tracks to the south of the main road, then another detour through a muddy, mosquito infested area to the north, which took the path right to the Slovak border. The path heads south after the village of Pacin. After following very straight farm roads the Kektura turned into a highly overgrown section besides some woods. As it was 6:00 pm I decided to stop and camp on an area of flattened grass in the field next to the woods, maybe used as a campsite before. As the grass was a few feet high I thought it unlikely that anyone would see me and my tent, so settled down to what I hoped would be a quiet evening.

Busy road out of Satoraljeujhely

View back towards Satoraljeujhely and some of the mountains that I crossed on the Blue route 

No comments:

Post a Comment