Monday 5 June 2017

Blogging the E4 European Long distance Trail: Budapest to Cyprus

Inspired by a blog by John Hayes I have walked the E4 European Long Distance Trail from Tarifa in the south of Spain to Budapest. I have done things a little different from John. Instead of walking the route in one go, I have walked 5 weeks at a time, two or three times a year, leaving plenty of time to devote to my wife in my early retirement. My route has been a little different to John's, taking the southern route in Andalusia, staying on the GR7 from Spain to France through Andorra (it was just simpler as well as very beautiful in June) and walking via Vienna and the Neuseidlersee in Austria (a contrast to the classic alpine hikes of Austria). In addition I added a section from Cabo S.Vincente in Portugal to Tarifa a possible extension of the E4 to the South West corner of Europe. I also carry a lightweight tent and sleeping bag so I am not tied to accommodation (although I prefer a nice meal, shower and bed).

John stopped at Budapest, however the E4 continues through Hungary to Bulgaria, Greece, Crete and Cyprus. It was originally intended to cross Romania, but there is currently no identified route. However the Serbian Mountain Organisation have created a route for the E4 described in a booklet "Rambling through Serbia at a slow pace" that links Hungary and Bulgaria. This is the route I am intending to take.

As I found John's blog very useful in describing what lay ahead, I intend to complete a blog of my own for the rest of the route, which may assist or inspire or just put off future travellers.


No comments:

Post a Comment