Tuesday 13 June 2017

Day 8 Cserhatsurany to Holloko

As I was packing up my tent a mosquito finally got me, putting me in a poor mood to start the day. However I soon brightened up as I walked through the trees in dappled sunlight. Throughout the morning I walked up and down through woodland except for one village and a few fields. I missed a ruin marked on the signboards but it was hard to miss the main attraction of the day, the castle and museum village of Holloko.
The castle was set on a hill, with excellent visibility to spot marauding invaders. Today the only invaders were crowds of children in various groups, filling in their worksheets while noisily running around. Approaching the castle there were some information boards with an English translation and I spent a little time trying to distinguish Turkey and Sessile Oak (the bark is the clue). I checked into Kemences Vendeghaz in time for lunch. I took the recommended local dish - pork with mushrooms, pate and peas, with a tomato salad for a bit of vitamin C.
In the afternoon I walked around the village which has a number of small museums. As signs were in Hungarian I arbitrarily went into two of them. The first had Paloc in its title which is the name of the local people, so I expected some kind of folk history. It turned out to be a museum of dolls dressed in traditional costumes. The next museum I tried was a printing museum. I was even given the chance to print something myself on a Gutenberg type press! The curator did very well demonstrating the various printing presses given he had no English and I had no Hungarian.
I am now drinking coffee (no cakes) listening to Boy George playing in the background.

Hollokoi Var (Holloko Castle)

Holloko museum village

No comments:

Post a Comment