Monday 26 June 2017

Day 20 Arka to a hill between Regec and Makkoshotyka

Today it was back to climbing through beech and oak, although the gradient of the climbs was generally not excessive as the path often followed valleys, gradually gaining height. The stream in the main valley consisted of a chain of stagnant pools (ideal for mosquitoes) in a stony riverbed. The local rock appeared to be volcanic.
Today's highlight was Regec castle (Regec Var in Hungarian). It involved a steep climb off the main path but as I missed Boldogkovaralja castle yesterday I was determined to visit this one. In addition to the ruined walls and astounding views (made more astounding as you usually see very few views through all the trees), there was an interesting set of posters (with English translations) describing the development of firearms as well as what the Chief Stewart did. Even better the castle had a Bufe where I could get a coffee without which I imagine I am prone to headaches caused by caffeine withdrawal.
A little further in the village of Regec I was so pleased to find another Bufe open I had a second coffee, an orange juice (good for you) and an ice cream (well I needed the calories as my trousers are getting very loose) which I enjoyed while watching a cartoon on TV with English subtitles.
Then it was more climbing surrounded by trees, passed two abandoned Turistahaz's. I stopped early as yesterday had been a long one. To minimise mosquito attacks I am camped in a fire break on top of a hill. I checked there were no insects before settling down for tea on a fallen tree trunk. Now there are lots of ants around me, picking up crumbs of stale bread roll and walking around with them in an apparently random fashion, possibly for my amusement as I finished with an apple.

A walk in the woods

Regec Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment