Friday 30 June 2017

Day 25 Vaja to Nyirbator

It was more road walking and sandy tracks today across a landscape not flat but with hills of very low relief, not especially memorable.
I passed through a few villages enjoying an apple filled croissant by a fountain in the park of Kantorjanosi. There does seem to be an effort to make these villages attractive, with groups of men cutting grass and sweeping pavements and the edge of roads. It did appear to have an element of a "make work" scheme but the results were pleasing and people were keeping the road frontage of their houses neat, raking the sand or with white flowered aloes. Maybe there was a "best kept village" competition. I also noticed that many people rode bicycles around the villages I had been walking through, to go to the shops or bars (bicycles outside a bar were a sure sign it was open), I suppose as it's flat and the roads tend to be quiet. In the UK, despite the short distances, people would take their cars rather than cycle, causing parking problems outside the local shops. The effect of greater wealth or laziness? I particularly enjoyed seeing girls and ladies riding side saddle on the luggage rack at the back of bicycles while their boyfriends or husbands peddled them about, it seemed conduct suitable of a gentleman, even if frowned upon in these more safety conscious and feminist days.
Although a short day to make up for some long days recently, I still felt tired as I approached my destination of Nyirbator. The final part of the Kektura into Nyirbator takes you on a circuitous route around the various sights of this modestly sized town. These included some big churches, a museum and a lake with a dragon sculpture and benches.
As I approached my hotel (Hotel Palma) I was a bit worried by the youths lounging outside, until I realised they were waiting for a bus, the stop being beside the hotel. My apartment is very plush in yellow and grey with plenty of room for me to do my exercises, so no excuses!

A road section approaching Kantorjanosi

Inside of one of the churches in Nyirbator

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the route report - will be very useful if/when we get that far - only Tarifa to Murcia so far on E4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you persevere on the E4, it is a rewarding walk through varied scenery, history and cuisine. I found your next section through Valencia and Catalonia particularly memorable when I walked it in February and March 2015 - hilltop villages, Secreto steaks and plenty of red wine, distant views of the ocean, almond blossom etc..

      Delete