Wednesday 21 June 2017

Day 15 Uppony to Zadorfalva

The village shop opened at 6:30 am so I was able to pop in for some breakfast materials and food for the rest of the day. After kefir (like yoghurt) and a chocolate croissant (not as nice as it sounds) I was on my way up the first hill, through the inevitable woods but reaching a decent view point just off the path. Then it was down hill again to a flat road section by a defunct railway (with warning lights still flashing on a level crossing) into Putnok. Managed to find a slice of cake but no coffee shop. Then it was up and over the next wooded hill, diverting to what was signposted as a castle ruins (with an L shaped symbol). There was a mound and some earthworks covered in trees but that was it...
The path then dropped into Kelemer  (a coke and ice cream opportunity) then a road section to the village of Gomorszolos. This village had a number of traditional looking houses with thatched roofs and carved wooden columns and fretwork along the verandas.  Like Kelemer and other villages it had a museum. I did not venture in as previous experience of village museums suggested that without a knowledge of Hungarian it was not going to be enlightening. Then a change of scenery as I climbed through meadows, disturbing butterflies and insects of many colours among the long grass and wild flowers, stumbling into ruts hidden by the vegetation. The absence of trees gave a greater sense of the landscape, in that I could actually see it.
In the final village of the day, Zadorfalva,  a young boy tagged on to me, despite my saying I was English and did not speak Hungarian, which usually puts people off (my appalling pronunciation is probably enough). He persisted and I ultimately realised that he wanted to take me to the stamping point. You can get booklets for the Blue route which you can stamp with a rubber stamp unique to the village or location. Quite a fun thing to do but not something I was doing ("Nem Pressio" seemed to be what I had to say). This really perplexed and disappointed the boy when he eventually gave up after following me around the village.
Finally it was up into the woods to find a spot to camp. I picked a spot on a summit in the hope that the breeze would blow away the insects, but it does not appear to have worked. ...

Meadows with flowers

A butterfly on my rucksack

No comments:

Post a Comment