Monday 26 June 2017

Day 21 Makkoshotyka to Satoraljaujhely

I woke to the gentle rhythm of light rain, which fell intermittently all morning before reaching downpour strength for the last 2 hours of my walk. In a period of no rain I had removed my waterproof trousers, trying to look as stylish as some passing hikers. A mistake as my hiking trousers soon became saturated by the wet vegetation and stayed that way once heavier rain forced me to put my waterproofs back on.
My final day on the original Blue route (or more accurately the Országos Kéktúra) was similar to many others, walking through deciduous trees, down the main street of a village of single storey houses, up and down hills with some wicked climbs near the end. The ascents and descents were particularly treacherous as the rain had turned the surface of the path into greasy mud, making my progress slow, nervous and wobbly.
Around 1:30 pm I reached Satoraljaujhely, having left the main Kektura 45 minutes beforehand. At Satoraljaujhely I start on the Alfoldi Kektura, or the Great Plains Blue route. The Alfoldi Blue route was created much later and despite signs outside, the local tourist office appeared unaware of it, or maybe I did not make myself clear when I asked if they had any information on it or accommodation on route.
I have settled into the Berg Panzio and eaten a meal in town on the main, tree lined pedestrianised street, watching the girls and boys sitting on benches on opposite sides of the street (to my mind the lads had the sharpest haircuts, some barber around here is handy with the clippers). My guidebook was a bit dismissive of Satoraljaujhely, a border town next to Slovakia, but it has a sort of faded grandeur, with occasional buildings decorated with classical motifs and missing rendering.
I am now sat in the bar of the Panzio have a "Grouse" whisky to celebrate the end of one Kektura and the start of another.

A final walk through woods on the Kektura

The pleasant pedestrianised centre of Satoraljauhely

No comments:

Post a Comment