Thursday 8 June 2017

Day 3 Pilisszentkereszt to Visegrad

Today was one of the better days on the Blue route if rather tiring. There was pleasant walking in woodland and across meadows of long grass with ox eye daisies and many other flowers that I was unable to name. Then at the end of the walk was the historic town of Visegrad with its ruined citadel, tower and palace.
The owner of the Panzio were I stayed last night agreed to an early breakfast of 7:30 which meant I had climbed my first ascent by 9:00 a.m. when it was cooler. Dobogoko was the first village I reached which had a great lookout to the north across the wooded hills I later traversed with the Danube curving in the distance.
The second village was Pilisszentlaszlo where I bought my lunch at a shop and ate it outside. A Magnum ice cream, an energy drink called "Hell" and a banana (because I like to be healthy).
Reaching Visegrad after a long wooded section along a ridge I first visited the Citadel. It's a steep climb up from the town so I viewed it on the way, although that meant carrying my rucksack around, which is at its heaviest at the end of the day. The view across the Danube Bend is great from the ruins. After a steep descent I checked into the Hotel Var and headed off for the Palace ruins. By now it was 4:45 pm and as it closed at 5:00 pm the ticket lady sternly told me I had only 10 minutes. To compensate I paid the rate for a 62 year old, although the cheeky woman implied I could have passed for 70 and an even lower rate! Although maybe I misunderstood...

Danube Bend at Visegrad

No comments:

Post a Comment