Wednesday 21 June 2017

Day 16 Zadorfalva to Josvafo

I woke at 5:30 am to the sound of massed mosquitoes buzzing around my tent (no doubt singing "I smell the blood of an Englishman"). I killed several while doing my toilet and packing up but more mosquitoes accumulated. The first few hours of the walk through trees was not pleasant: long, loose trousers protected my legs and DEET insect repellent helped my bare arms but they were penetrating my thin tee shirt. I did not like to overdo the DEET as it dissolves plastics and synthetics like my rucksack etc..
Some of this wooded section was along the Slovak - Hungarian border, marked by concrete posts. Always exciting thinking of slipping from one country to another without anyone knowing.
Finally, it was out into the open away from the blood sucking insects and the path down to the Aggtelek caves. After a morning coffee and a hamburger from the nice couple in the "bufe" by the car park I went on a tour of the caves as they were recommended by "German Tourist", a famous blogger. The tourist office kindly looked after my rucksack as I did so. The caves were good with some nice, broccoli shaped stalagmites, and I liked the music they played in the "concert hall" cave, although some coloured lights and laser beams would have helped the light show. I also should have brought a jacket as it was rather cool...
Then it was up onto the limestone hills with a viewpoint and a 6 km walk to Josvafo. I could hear thunder as I walked along, getting closer and closer, but fortunately reached the Tengerszem hotel before the rain began. With the rain falling I was left with no alternative but to have a late and leisurely lunch as I watch the world go by from the hotel restaurant. Later I discovered the hotel is next door to more caves you can visit, but one cave visit in a day was enough for me so after a walk around the village I settled for an evening beer.

Slovak border

Broccoli shaped stalagmites (the guide probably called them something more fanciful but as he was talking in Hungarian I will stick with vegetable analogies)

Cave was quite big

No comments:

Post a Comment