Thursday 15 June 2017

Day 10 Matraverebely to Matrahaza

Rose to another fine day with blue skies and walked downhill through the town of Matraverebely, some meadows of tall grass followed, a prequel to the first climb of the day. The lengthy ascent took me to the Agasvar Turistahaz (closed as it was not a weekend) and then up and down along the ridge to the village of Matraszentistivan. Here I stopped for coffee finding a place open(!) and stayed for an early lunch as my right knee was needing a rest.
Then it was more uphill to Galyateto where I climbed the kilato  (200 forints but not in 20's, I had to get the right change at a shop). There was a magnificent panorama from the top, I could see the flat lands of the Hungarian plain to the south and flattish lands to the north. In between I could see the hills that the Blue route follows, including the hills coming up next. This section of the path has some good views even at ground level as the land falls away steeply.
After dropping down there was a final uphill struggle to reach an area called Matrahaza. When I was planning the trip there appeared several places to stay but they were either closed (Pagoda Panzio) or full. However a very kind and English speaking lady at the etterem (meaning restaurant) and panzio (meaning pension as in the sense of lodgings) by the bus stop found me a room in a nearby international sports facility while I drank a very refreshing glass of beer (nothing like a long walk on a hot day to make the first few mouthfuls of a cold beer taste wonderful). I had dinner among ladies from Turkey's judo team, some powerful looking Serbians and various other athletic looking types. Clearly state run I had to sign 8 pieces of paper to get a room while the patient lady at reception typed in extensive details.
Meadows of long grass after Matraverebely

Kilato at Galyateto well worth 200 fts for the climb

No comments:

Post a Comment