Sunday 11 June 2017

Day 5 Nagy-Hideg-Hegy to Szendehely

A long day, my progress seemed slow but it was enlivened by some pleasant sights.
After a few short, steep climbs I reached the first of those sights, a kilato (lookout tower) which gave enormous views (after climbing the 133 numbered steps). One might be tempted to short cut this bit of the Kektura that adds a lengthy loop to the North of the Danube bend, but the National park it takes you through seemed very beautiful as I looked down upon it, a bird of prey circling below me.
After a lengthy walk through the woods I reached Nograd. At the edge of the village was a spring. A concrete affair with a plaque where the spring was directed into a stainless steel piece of pipe. The spring must have been a good one as a number of people were waiting to use it, one family with a dozen or so plastic bottles. I filled all my bottles as I expected to camp again tonight, a significant weight to carry as I headed off to climb a small but steep sided hill to the local ruined castle. All these castle ruins fly a Hungarian flag, illustrating a sense of national pride in past achievements.
Doubling back on itself several times the onward path took me through more woods up more hills, with one good viewpoint. The beech and oak trees are green and beautiful but do tend to hide the distant panoramas. There were many people out walking, probably because it was the weekend. There were some light showers and I felt conspicuous as the only one putting waterproofs on.
Reaching the village of Szendehely I noticed people gathering at the crossroads by the church. Curious I joined them. Shortly there came a small group of musicians, playing accordion and tambourine, leading a wedding procession. There was the bride (in white), the groom and what I assumed were bridesmaids in lilac accompanied by their beaus.  In the crowd of villagers cake and refreshments were being passed around and I was fortunate to be offered a plastic cup of dry cider and two (very welcome) slices of cake.

Wedding at Szendehely

Thus fortified I continued on my way, which left the village on a cycle track and then climbed a mountain. After a suspension bridge, a couple on benches by a fire followed by what seemed an excessive climb I reached a flat area by some sinkholes, one (according to the sign) leading to an extensive underground cave network. Tired and resolving not to wander around to much at night, I set up camp and spent the night disturbed only by someone riding his motorcycle up the hill.

Suspension bridge across a ravine

No comments:

Post a Comment